Soups are one of my favorite dishes. They are so nourishing and light on the stomach compared to solid meals and did I mention super simple to make. As always, I enjoy recipes that use simple ingredients. For example, see the recipe for a delicious potato soup:
- Three medium potatoes
- 5 cups of water
- 225 ml of plant-based milk or cream (optional)
- 1/2 bunch of watercress
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- Garlic (optional)
- Prepare your potatoes by Peeling and dicing, then add to a pot, cover the peeled potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Let simmer with the lid on for about 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and set them aside. Don't dispose of the cooking water.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth & add the milk or cream.
- Wash the watercress and then chop it into smaller chunks.
- Return the mashed potato mixture to the pot with the cooking water and add the watercress, garlic and nutmeg. Stir well & simmer for 10 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add more milk if the soup appears too thick. Then, you can serve the soup hot or cold. If you want to have the soup cold, first, allow it to cool and then place it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Happy Christmas to those celebrating today!